Monday, November 17, 2008

Random Thoughts and Thoughts For Craft People

I've been looking over some other blogs, and I notice that more than half of them, so far, have been in a language other than English. I, unfortunately, only speak English and a little bit of Italian and Chinese. Even more unfortunately, I found a page in Chinese, but my computer is equipped to handle the characters. I need to get that fixed, my Chinese class is going to want me to start typing in Chinese soon.
One of the sites that WAS in English was a gardening blog. Maybe when I go to start my life more simply, I'll find a place where I can garden. Can one start a garden on rented property? Or do you have to buy the property to be able to start a garden on it? I could do a potted garden like my grandparents. Home-grown vegetables and fruits taste best. I don't know if it's the same for home-slaughtered livestock. I don't really intent to raise livestock, so it won't really matter but it does make you wonder.

Off my randomness and on my topic. Another one in English was a sort of crafter's diary. She's retired and seems to spend much of her doing various crafts. Many people do crafts as gifts or things for themselves, but what if they all donated just one thing to a charity. One hat can go towards saving a life of an infant in Africa (see the links below). Some poor children need sweaters or clothing. Or, if you're not into making clothes or blankets or something like that, holding a craft sale and have the profits go to a charity.
I myself am a knitter, and I'm pretty good at it. My one problem is that I can't seem to make my gauge match the finished product. So this makes making things like sweaters a bit difficult. Oh sure, I could make one, but it turn a few sizes smaller than I was trying for. How is it that I can be knitting something with three stitches to an inch, then take away three stitches and have it come out two inches smaller? It just doesn't make sense. But I digress. I have a number of beautiful scarves (they don't need the gauge!) and I'm thinking I should sell them to add to my income. Does anyone know a good place to do that?

No comments: